Ad

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Red Palm Oil As A Moisturizer For Dry Afro Hair


Red Palm Oil is also great for dry hair. Especially natural afro-textured hair. It moisturizes dry hair giving it shine, bounce, softness and manageability without being heavy or weighing the hair down. The hair's ends retains softness and bounce.

Red Palm Oil should be used in moderation as a leave-in conditioner on the hair and you won't need the use of water, oil, butters, or cream-based hair lotions to moisturize your hair. Your hair will stay moisturized and shiny for about a week or so, especially if it is in a protective style.

Red Palm Oil is red in color and does not go on clear like other yellow or golden colored oils. It stains yellow like curry or turmeric so it is best to cover hair when sleeping or use an old towel/t-shirt if using this as an oil rinse or in a conditioner or shampoo. So don't slather it on your hair as it will drip all over.

It is semi-solid and has a buttery but faint carroty smell so if used to moisturize/condition hair, it is best to use pin sized drops when moisturizing hair so that the smell won't be overpowering since it smells more buttery than carroty.
Other than that, I recommend this over coconut oil, argon oil or any other oil for moisture, shine, softness and bounce to combat dry, dull looking, damaged hair.

I've just tried this oil on my hair because I'm a Doubting Thomas. I wanted to prove it doesn't work. So 3 days later, I took down one of my twists to see whether there would be breakage and/or dryness (I'd used pin drops in case the oil wasn't adaptable to my hair). To my surprise my hair is soft, shiny, bouncy and moisturized which is totally unbelievable for my textured hair. Even my ends were soft! I took down a few more twists and saw the same results. I should say this has never happened to my hair before. Perhaps it's the rich mounts of Vitamin E that's in the oil compared to less in other oils.

As a natural, I've tried everything and nothing worked. Moisturizing shampoo/conditioner dried out my hair/ends, even those that were natural and sulfate free. Coconut oil and organ oil or my other oil combinations had to be applied every day or so to keep my hair moisturized and the ends from breaking but they never gave my hair shine. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar or Water/glycerin kept my hair soft and dull looking but never shiny.

I never go around writing on blogs commenting or recommending anything for hair as everyone's hair is different and has different needs. However, I will recommend this for those who have dry damaged hair and want soft, shiny, bouncy moisturized hair. (RML)

No comments:

News Flash: Kidnappers Launch Another Attack in Kubwa, Abuja, Seize Two Sisters, and Request N30 Million Ransom

This development occurs just a week after residents of the Chikakore community expressed their grievances to the office of FCT Minister, Nye...