Ad

Friday, March 14, 2014

How I Escaped Death – Festac Boat Tragedy Survivor Recounts Ordeal

The survivors of the yesterday's tragic boat accident in Festac, Lagos, having claimed 13 lives, recounted how they managed to stay alive and how other passengers died in the ill-fated canoe.
Photo: Festac boat mishap survivors recount their ordeals 

Speaking with journalists, one of the survivors, Joseph Essien, said if not the human error the mishap could have been escaped.
"If the passengers had taken the boat boy’s warning, maybe the tragedy would not have occurred."
Explaining how how it all happened Joseph added that the state of the canal, which is deep and swampy, also became one of the reasons why the boat capsized.
That very day after completing their work at the site they left for home. At the river bank, they met the ill-fated canoe waiting for passengers. Instead of entering, the men allowed those who came after them to board the canoe.
The boat boy insisted that not more than 13 passengers were allowed, however he yielded to the pressure of the passengers, who begged him to take them on board.
Joseph was quoted saying:
"After they all entered, the canoe failed to move and all efforts by the canoe boy proved abortive. He sought the assistance of those still at the 6th Avenue shore to push the canoe to make it sail. Few minutes after the canoe sailed it begun to swing and water entered inside. Within seconds, the boat had capsized. I knew I wasn’t a good swimmer. All I relied upon was the little knowledge I had gained while swimming in pools. I would have drowned because I had a bag on me where I kept my tools. Immediately I discovered that the bag was hindering me from gaining access to the shore, I removed it and swam to the water’s edge where the bystanders assisted."
Thirteen corpses have been recovered yesterday after the boat capsized at a river at fourth avenue, opposite 41 road junction, Festac, Lagos, 5 people were severely injured and taken to the hospital.
READ MORE:  http://news.naij.com/61744.html


Photo: Festac boat mishap survivors recount their ordealsPhoto: Festac boat mishap survivors recount their ordealshhREAD MORE:  http://news.naij.com/61744.html

No comments:

News Flash: Kidnappers Launch Another Attack in Kubwa, Abuja, Seize Two Sisters, and Request N30 Million Ransom

This development occurs just a week after residents of the Chikakore community expressed their grievances to the office of FCT Minister, Nye...