Ad

Thursday, June 25, 2015

25 Things Never to Say During a Job Interview (and Why)

There are some things that you should keep to yourself during a job interview – even if you’re thinking them.

 close-up of man's folded hands - Jared DeCinque/E+/Getty Images
Be conservative in what you say and share, and keep the focus on your skills and qualifications for a job.

The interviewer isn’t interested in your personal life, your vacation plans, or why you really need to get hired for the job. He or she wants to know why you’re the best-qualified person for the job. If you don’t think you have all the qualifications, don’t mention it.

If you’re not sure how you’re going to get to work, arrange child care, want to take vacation time already or the schedule isn’t perfect, don’t mention it.

The same is true for how you really feel about your current (or last) employer.

Negativity doesn’t go over well during job interviews. Companies want to hire positive people, not complainers.

Top 25 Things Never to Say at a Job Interview
Here are 25 things you shouldn’t say during an interview, and why not to say them.
  1. I really hate my job. (Are you going to hate this job if they hire you?)
  2. I have a vacation planned in a few weeks. (Wait to ask for time-off until you have a job offer.)
  3. My boss is the worst boss ever. (Are you going to say that about your new boss if things don’t work out?)
  4. My current company is awful. (Are you going to say that about the new company?)
  5. How much does this job pay? (Let the employer bring up money first.)
  6. When do I get a vacation? (Don’t ask about benefits until you’re offered the job)
  7. Can you give me taxi fare to get home? (Figure out your transportation ahead of time)
  8. Do you mind if I take this call? (Your phone should be turned off before you head into the interview.)
  9. I really need this job. (You don’t want to come across as desperate.)
  10. I don’t have all the experience you need, but I’m a quick learner. (Let the interviewer figure out if you’re qualified and focus on the skills that you do have.)
  11. I don’t know.
  12. It’s on my resume. (Yes, it is, but the interviewer wants to hear it from you.)
  13. I have an appointment, is this going to be over soon? (Give yourself plenty of time to interview and be aware the interview could run longer than you planned.)
  14. Sorry, I’m late. (Don't be unless you have an emergency.)
  15. Profanity or swear words. (Keep it professional and polite.)
  16. What’s the policy on dating co-workers? (this is about work, not your love life)
  17. Do you have Friday Happy Hours or is there an open bar at holiday parties? (Booze and job interviews don’t mix.)
  18. I don’t have child care lined up, but I’m working on it. (You don’t want to give the interviewer any reason to think that you won’t have the availability that’s needed by the company.)
  19. I don’t have a car yet, but I will soon. (same as above)
  20. This schedule doesn’t really work for me. Can it be changed? (Don’t ask for anything until you have a job offer.)
  21. I don’t have any questions. (You should always have a list of question ready to ask the interviewer.)
  22. What do you do at this company? (you should thoroughly research the company and be prepared to speak about it)
  23. What is included in the benefits package? (Wait for a job offer before discussing benefits.)
  24. Interviews make me really nervous. (The interviewer wants to hire someone confident in his or her abilities.)
  25. Can I work from home? (Don’t bring up alternative working situations until you have a job offer.)

No comments:

News Flash: Kidnappers Launch Another Attack in Kubwa, Abuja, Seize Two Sisters, and Request N30 Million Ransom

This development occurs just a week after residents of the Chikakore community expressed their grievances to the office of FCT Minister, Nye...